Monday, November 09, 2009

An afternoon at the ranch...

The kids and I went on an adventure yesterday afternoon down in ranch country at our friends' place(daddy came too for awhile). We love to hike down into canyons, dig for fossils, explore Ravenscraft and just take in the beauty of God's amazing creation. I'll let the pictures tell our story...
Daddy flying the kite Lenna made, we are learning about things that fly and the history of flight in school right now.Nate heading down into the box canyon.Digging for bones, we found some cool ones today! In this area, there are just pieces of fossilized bones laying on the surface, sometimes with some digging, you can find some cool big ones!The kids heading out of the box canyon after digging for fossilized bones.Nate walking in the sea of prairie grass, the wind blows it like the rolling waves...Heading down the road to the Ravenscraft Stone House...A cool paw print the kids found at the edge of a mud hole along the way.Out the window of the old stone Ravenscraft ranch house...The kids standing on the corral gate.Heading home...
at the end of an awesome adventure...From the highest of heights to the depths of the sea
Creation's revealing Your majesty
From the colors of fall to the fragrance of spring
Every creature unique in the song that it sings
All exclaiming

Indescribable, uncontainable,
You placed the stars in the sky and You know them by name.
You are amazing God
All powerful, untameable,
Awestruck we fall to our knees as we humbly proclaim
You are amazing God
Indescribable~ Chris Tomlin

5 comments:

LISA said...

This song, for some reason, brings tears to my eyes right away.
What a beautiful place. Your comment about the prarie grass reminded me immediately of Sarah Plain and Tall. Have you read this to your children yet? They will love these stories about a region they know so much about.

dtbrents said...

I enjoyed seeing all of your pictures. It looks like all of you had a wonderful day. The children are so cute. Doylene

Adeye said...

It sure looks stunning there. You can see for miles, hey?
Okay, I'm very curious--what kind of bones are those????

STUNNING pics, dear friend.

quilt'n-mama said...

Lisa-
We haven't read Sarah Plain and Tall yet, it is on our list for next year and I can't wait! I have found some others about life on the prairie that I love to read with the kids though about early settlers life on the prairie, I'll post the list sometime.
It is beautiful, that's for sure, especially on a beautiful Fall afternoon!
blessings,
Gayly

quilt'n-mama said...

Adeye,
You can see for miles here up on the plains, on a clear evening, we can see the red flashing lights on the top of windmills at a wind farm 20 miles away! WHen you drive south to "ranch country, it gets rugged fast though, red dirt canyons, rocky and so beautiful, I actually love it down there and so do my kids!
As for the bones, we aren't sure what all we found- I know some fossilized turtle shell, but also some good sized chunks of bone I just don't know of what, a small jaw bow with a couple of teeth still in it and a tooth. Years ago a Mastadon was found on this ranch. Wouldn't that be cool, we didn't find one.... yet:)
Blessings,
Gayly