Thursday, November 19, 2009

Learning about Thanksgiving
A couple of people have emailed and ask about my Thanksgiving reading list with the kids, so I thought I would share it here! There are tons of great books out there, here are the ones we are using.

Here is our read aloud list:
Thanksgiving: A Harvest Celebration by Julie Stiegemeyer
The Pilgrims of Plimoth by Marcia Sewall
Thank You Sarah: The Woman Who Saved Thanksgiving by Laurie Halse Anderson
If You Sailed on the Mayflower in 1620 by Ann McGovern
Pilgrim Cat by Carol Antionette Peacok
Pilgrims of Plymouth by Susan Goodman
P is for Pilgrim by Carol Crane
Pilgrim's First Thanksgiving by Ann McGovern
The Story of the Pilgrims by H.L. Ross
Three Young Pilgrims by Cheryl Harness
Thanksgiving on Plymouth Plantation (Time Traveling Twins) by Diane Stanley


Chapter Books we are reading:
Sarah's New World:1620 A Mayflower Adventure by Colleen Reece
Rebekah in Danger: 1621 Peril at Plymouth Colony By Colleen Reece
I love this series! It is called "Sisters in Time" and there are 24 books in the series each from a different year in American History, written as Christian Fiction. They make great read alouds for Lenna but as her reading improves, she will love to red them someday I'm sure!

We also read this chapter book this week from the American Girl Series:
Kit Learns a Lesson: A 1934 School Story by Valarie Tripp
I have a lapbook activity set to go with this, I didn't use it for a lapbook but I did use it as a reading guide.

A short video we will be watching:
William Bradford: The First Thanksgiving, Animated Heroes Classics (video)

Some lesson plan helps:
Colonial Days: Discover the Past with Fun Projects, Games, Activities and Recipes (American Kids in History Series) by David C. King
http://www.oklahomahomeschool.com/pilgrimCL.html - this website has some great links that I am using plans and activities from.

Fun recipes:
Edible corn cobs- these look like a lot of fun to make, I think we will try it next week!

Fun Crafts:
Hands and feet turkeys
We will also be making "thankful paper chains"- adding a link each day of something we are thankful for!

Coloring sheet activities:
Pilgrim and Indian coloring sheet

Family Fun magazine
(you can access it online, always has lots of fun activities and recipes too!) We use this magazine tons for ideas of things we can do!

I am also making the girls aprons and bonnets for Thanksgiving and hats for the boys! What fun we are having learning and celebrating this special time of year!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

GIRL! You are on it! my kids will be lucky to eat turkey LOL

quilt'n-mama said...

No turkey cooking here though... I've only ever cooked 1 in my entire life... maybe in a few years that will have to be our home ec lesson! Thankfully someone else cooks that for us:) I hope you have a great Thanksgiving!
Blessings,
Gayly